12.16.2010

You know, deck them halls and all that stuff?

CHRISTMAS! Can't wait for it!

The following ads were found in Collier's Magazine, December 24, 1954. This issue had part of the on-going saga of "The Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney. This story, of course, would eventually be published a year later as "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." So fitting for the Season, you think?

The Minstrel Radio ad
The Minstrel 3-Way Portable Radio ad with some fun characters at the top there.

Esterbrook Pens ad
Esterbrook pens ad. I love the individual characters for each of the pens shown. Looks a lot like JP Miller, but I'm pretty sure it's not. No illustrator credit given. Notice all the females have clerical or secretarial jobs. Typical!

Here's a high-res version of it for you: Esterbrook Pens BIG. It was very difficult to get the right levels and tones here - the subtle grays in the illustrations were so fine and delicate, it was hard for me to find the right look without blowing the image out too much. Sorry.

Jell-O ad
Fun Jell-O ad illustrated by the awesome Jack Welch.

This was part of a big campaign. You can check out more of the ads by clicking HERE.

"It's my gift for thirst" Coke ad
Classic Santa Coke ad illustrated by Haddon Sundblom, of course. Not what I typically post here, but thought that it was a pretty cool ad to share. Plus, I love Christmas. And Coke. So there.

The following ad was not from Collier's but from Everywoman's Magazine, December 1957. The cutest little cook you'll find this Season using tin foil:

Kaiser Foil ad

Jettie, The Rich Reliefer
Not that Christmas-y, but still cool nonetheless, this illustration was done by Herschel Levit. Apparently he taught at Pratt at one point.

Hope you're enjoying the Season so far. I know I am. I've been listening to nothing but Christmas music all day long. Not tired of it one bit. Well, not yet, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely crop of advertisements with charming art.
    My favorite Christmas song is Sleighride, because it has coffee and pumpkin pie in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are all just great! my favorite, probably no big surprise here, is the kaiser foil girl! what a cute ad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 of those Jell-O ads and they are fantastic! We found them for $1 each at a flea market and fell in love with them.

    Great stuff Ward!

    ReplyDelete